Thursday, September 18, 2008

Here in Holland





I know that I have not been faithful to my blog, so here is another start. This is a good time to do it. I’m writing from "across the pond" as they say. After years of dreaming that I would love to do something like this, I am in Holland about to do some teaching. More about that later.
For those who are wondering, the trip over here was uneventful. Air travelers always appreciate being able to say that about a flight. It was an extremely smooth flight. Yes, eight hours is a long time on a plane, but I had an aisle seat so it was easy to get up and move around. The A330 has tall ceilings so I can stretch. That always helps. I am always amazed that I can be in Europe this quickly. I think of the Pilgrims back in 1620 who came across the Atlantic in that tiny ship, at the mercy of the winds to push them. That would have been an amazingly difficult trip.
I enjoy the travel information that is available on international flights. It is like the GPS many people have in their cars. A few interesting facts from the trip – we had some powerful tail winds that pushed the plane along. The plane got up to 706 MPH, ground speed. And, the tail winds peaked at 169 MPH. That’s an amazing wind at about 37,000 to 39,000 feet altitude. The other interesting statistic is that the outside temperature stayed between 50 and 60 degrees BELOW ZERO. I always find that interesting that just a few inches outside the window it is that cold.
Even though they offer a variety of entertainment on demand on the small personal screen in front of each passenger, their selection of things to watch is kind of pathetic. I ended up listening to music, following the path of our flight, getting work done and also attempting to sleep. Attempting to sleep is a good description, as it didn’t really happen. I just can’t sleep on planes.
After we landed in Amsterdam, it felt like we taxied forever to get to the terminal. They should put the runways closer to the terminal.
I don’t know how the pictures in this blog will line up, but included are a few shots from around here. When you are in Holland you see canals everywhere. Amsterdam has many tour boats you can take. I hope we get to take one of the tours before I head back. Also, I have looked forward to enjoying some of the local fries, called friets. They made a great lunch.
The primary focus of my trip here is to teach on using the Full Life Study Bible as a study tool. We will have a group, hopefully large, on Friday night. I will get to do this one in English. Next week we will be in Belgium and it will be in French. No, I don’t parleze the French, my brother does and we will tag-team the presentation. We will also have some other ministry opportunities.
Well, this is a start. I will attempt to write about my journey over here again soon to keep you up on what is happening. Thanks for reading. Check in again soon.