Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday






It is hard to believe that I am coming to the close of this amazing trip. Next Wednesday is the day I will fly back. In between there are still a few more ministry opportunities. Sunday morning I will speak in Ciney at the morning service. Again, it’s going to be translated in to French. Friday evening I spoke in Dinant (pronounced DEE - no). There is a hunger among the believers for more of the Lord. That is exciting. It is also challenging that the spiritual need here is so vast. The picture of the building with the large windows is the church. The building has an amazing history. It used to be a brothel and the windows were for the girls to stand and lure in the "customers". Now, the building is used to share the life giving light of Jesus. The building is "new" in its use. That’s what Jesus does to people, He makes them new.
One of the things of personal interest to me is that this area is filled with history. My father served in the US Army in WW II. This is the area where the Battle of the Bulge was fought. My father was in this general area during the war. That battle was very bloody and extremely sad at the vast loss of life – hundreds of thousands of people died. One of the places we visited was Malmedy. A sad events of the war happened there when the SS murdered many U.S. soldiers rather than to take them as POW’s. Some of them survived the shooting. My father was among the soldiers that rescued the survivors. There is a memorial to their outfit, the 99th Inf Btn (sep). I have included a picture of my brother and I at the monument.
Another moving sight is the military cemeteries here. It is something to realize the size of the loss that occurred. We visited two American cemeteries. Between the two there are over 13,000 U.S. soldiers buried there. I am always in awe at the loss and sorrow represented there. And, I am in awe at how they can make the place so perfectly laid out and kept in pristine condition. There are also a few pictures from there.
We also visited Bastogne. This is the city that the Nazi’s surrounded in their push during the Battle of the Bulge. When the Allies were told to surrender, General McAllif simply replied "nuts". They held on and won the battle. There is a memorial and museum at Bastogne. The memorial is shaped like a star and has the names of all the states around the top. It was something to climb it and look out on beautiful and peaceful countryside, knowing that at one time the whole area was destroyed by bombing and shelling.
As we travel around the cities in Europe, we see one narrow street after another. I have also included a picture to illustrate that. It is interesting to drive over here. When the directions tell you to go straight on a street, that is a relative term.
Now, let me give you an update on Andrea. She finally was able to have the surgery on Friday afternoon. She came out of it well. They had to put in pins and screws to repair her arm. They expect a good recovery. She is still in pain and has a long ways to go to get back full mobility. She is not sure when she will return home. In many countries people are praying, and it is appreciated. Thanks for all of your concern.
Sunday afternoon we return to Amsterdam. That means I have to get my suitcase packed again. More work. Well, that’s OK. Thanks for reading.