Saturday, September 20, 2008

Yes, It Really Happened





Well, it finally happened. I presented the Study Bible Seminar Friday night. We were given the use of a local church in Amsterdam. It is a beautiful setting. The congregation bought an old night club and have transformed it to a great place for church services. It is a large place. The main meeting room is specious and gives much room for a service, for coffee and fellowship and much more. Yes, coffee and talk is just as important to the folks here as it is in the States.
I didn’t count exactly, but about 50 people from several churches and ethnic backgrounds attended the seminar. It was well received. The evening was informal enough so that we had questions and discussion as we went. I think I was successful at pointing out the features and benefits of the study Bible. The people were excited as they began to realize the learning potential of what they had in their hands. Several people ended up getting Bibles for family and friends after they saw it and learned more about it. I think that several churches in the area will have many people in their church with the same study tool. That will add much to their studies and discussions.
We all (my brother, his wife and daughter) felt great as we drove back to their home. We were quite tired when it was all said and done, but well worth it. I now have the opportunity to critique my presentation and get input from my brother. The next time we present it will be a challenge, and a team effort. It will be in French. So, we’ll have to work on that.
The pictures in this post are from the church. I took a few before everything started. I will get some from during the presentation from my brother’s camera some time later.
This trip has also allowed time for study. I am working on two different series for back in Wisconsin. I have been writing them for a while, and still have much work to do. I’m doing this in a different format. I often do a series of sermons or studies, and have the themes worked out ahead of time. Then I prepare week by week as I go. My goal this time, and I’ll see how it works out in the end, is to have it all done and published at the beginning. So, I’m taking advantage of time here to get some of this work done.
This is it for now. More later.