Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Definition of Brat

I have always been a fan of The Andy Griffith Show. I guess I have to admit that I’m old enough to have watched it when it was really on TV, you know, the first run of the program. When I was a kid, I never would have dreamed that I would some day be able to buy a small round disk (DVD) and have it available in my home any time I wanted to watch.

One of the things I appreciate about the series is that there are many important life lessons taught in the programs. I think of one program where the definition of the word “brat” comes to mind. I know that around Wisconsin the word “brat” is pronounced “braat” and it means a really delicious fat hot dog/sausage. But, I’m thinking of the old fashioned use of the word.

The program is called “The Spoiled Kid” and it features a character who only shows up once on the program series, Arnold Winkler. Arnold has learned in life how to manipulate his parents to get anything he wants. He gets all the new toys he wants and never has to work for anything. In this program he has a new $70.00 bike.

Arnold gives Opie “Brat Lessons”, telling him how to throw a tantrum, cry and scream, hold his breath to demand what he wants. The difference is that Opie’s dad doesn’t bite on the bait of tantrums. “Opie, what are you doing?” “I’m having a tantrum.” “Oh, don’t get your clothes dirty.”

The climax of the story, the real lessons comes at the end of the program when Arnold has his bike confiscated by the Sheriff’s department for riding it on the sidewalk on Main Street. He has a fit and drags his father down to the courthouse. They both demand that the bike be returned. When Sheriff Andy threatens to arrest the father for the illegal behavior of the son, Arnold’s real heart comes out. He’s more concerned about his bike than his father. He says, “Go ahead and arrest my dad. He won’t care. He’s tough” “I just got that bike and I don’t want to lose it.”

The dad, Simon Winkler, has an amazing moment of waking up and seeing how he has been letting his son run things. He realizes that there is discipline lacking. He asks for the bike back so he can sell it. Then Arnold screams, “That’s my bike and you can’t sell it.” Andy tells Simon that there is an old-fashioned wood shed out back if the want to have a father-son “talk”.

Opie asks if Arnold is going to get a spanking. Andy asks if Opie thinks he deserves one. A classic line in response, “I don’t want to say. After all, he is one of my own kind.”

As distasteful as discipline is to receive, it is necessary to learning and maturing in life. Those who never receive it usually end up with many unlearned life lessons. Discipline is given by people who love the one they are disciplining. We all need it from time to time, especially as we are growing up and maturing. Think about it.