Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday




Over here they often talk about rain and more rain. We have had really good weather during this trip. Today it is raining for the first time here in Holland while I have been here. We had some rain in Belgium one day as we were traveling. So, we have had really good weather and I appreciate that. It wouldn’t have been fun to be dodging raindrops constantly.
This morning has been a time for reorganizing, planning the organization of suitcases and gathering a few goodies to bring back home. My plan for the afternoon is study. I have actually gotten quite a bit of study done while I have been here. I’m working on a couple of series I will be doing for Sunday and Wednesday nights. They are - The Battleground Is The Mind & The Family. I’m excited about doing them. I believe they will be very beneficial. I just still have a lot of work to do on them. My goal is to have the complete series done by the time I start. If I don’t reach that goal, I will be close and I will start and work to complete them shortly after I start.
Today, George is teaching classes at the seminary. I could have joined him to learn about the book of Acts, and it would have been interesting, but I felt I could better use the time with study. Tomorrow I will be joining him and presenting pictures I took when I was in Israel in 2000. I organized a powerpoint presentation and showed it at Cornerstone a few weeks ago. Then we will visit a Bible Museum in Amsterdam. The trip is part of their class. I’m looking forward to seeing what they have.
Andrea will leave the hospital today. YEA!!!!! She is looking forward to blowing that pop stand. She will have quite a time of recovery and therapy. Thanks for your prayers for her. I haven’t talked with her today because it is still too early over there. I’m finally getting adjusted to the time difference from this direction - 3 PM here is 8 AM in Wisconsin. I’ll call later and get the latest info.
As I write I’m listening to music on the internet. I recently discovered christianityradio.com. I often listen to it in my office, and, through the wonder of the internet, I can listen to it over here as well. They offer several styles of Christian music, you can take your pick. I enjoy having some light instrumental music in the background as I work.
I have been doing some thinking about what we have accomplished in the past two weeks. I never want to waste time and money on something that is worthless. The first thought that comes is that we won’t really know all of the results till eternity. That’s ok, since we are doing eternal work. My goal was to help pastors and church workers obtain and know how to use the study Bible. We have accomplished that and heard over and over how grateful they were for our coming. I have no idea where all the Bibles will end up. It will be over a wide area. I know that it is an excellent study tool and they will be much better off in their ministry preparation as they use it.
My brother told me of one student who almost gave up the ministry because he had such a hard time knowing what to preach and how to prepare. After he attended the seminary he learned how and was so much happier in the ministry. I believe that the study Bibles will accomplish something similar. One pastor I met had never had any formal Bible training. As I heard about that, I said to myself that he is the exact kind of person Don Stamps had in mind when he wrote the notes and articles. He was in the front row of the seminar following along. I’m excited that we reached church workers with something that will help them out and make them more effective in the ministry.
Another thing we accomplished was encouraging and ministering to people in a few local churches. I spoke from the Psalms and the words of King David. We have hope and encouragement in Jesus. The presence of God is a refreshing oasis in the desert of life and we experienced that in the services. Several people commented on the uplift they experiences from the ministry. Many of them have so little Christian fellowship throughout the week because there are so few people who actively practice the Christian faith. They cherish the times of teaching, praying and visiting with other believers.
The pictures today are of our wonderful hosts in Ciney, Roger and Lilly Myers. They are the most gracious and loving people. Lilly is an amazing cook. It is a joy to visit and work with them. They have a large and loving heart for the people they minister to. On top there is a pic of the Thomassen Three singing. Below is George and me preaching.
Again, thanks for reading and I’ll see you soon.