Thursday, September 18, 2008

This Is The Day





This is a day I have been looking forward to for longer than I can remember. It is the day I get to present the Bible Seminar to pastors and church workers in the Amsterdam area. I’ll talk more about that later. But, first . . .
. . . Let me talk about another fun part of the day. This is Friday, so it means that in Hoofddorp it is market day. Once a week many vendors set up on the public square and sell everything you can imagine. I was here last year and enjoyed the market and have looked forward to going back to it. We will get our lunch there after a while. Market day is a European tradition and I really like it. You can see by the pictures above that they have some of everything available – food, clothes, flowers. I just did a quick walk through part of the market to get some pictures. I can’t post all of them, just a sample. It is crowded. I’m going to enjoy looking around and getting some things there. Licorice anyone?
Now, to the most important part of the day. My dream to take a missions teaching trip has centered around the Fire Bible. Filled with study materials written by missionary Don Stamps, it is a source of much spiritual insight. I have owned one of these since the early 1990s and I believe it is the best study Bible out there. It is very practical. Many of the people at Cornerstone have one and use them regularly. I trust that more will get one for themselves and learn how to use it. I practiced on them this summer, giving the seminar to get the feel of it. I think it went well. Tonight I get to do it here. We have talked with several people who are planning to come and they are excited about it. I have pulled out the notes I wrote and studied them. I’m ready to go.
My goal is to help people learn how to use this study tool for both ministry presentations (preaching and teaching) and personal Bible study. All who follow Jesus must be students of the Bible, learning how to grasp the teachings and applying them in daily life. That is one of the blessings and benefits of this study Bible. If we can’t apply Bible teaching to real life, what good is it?
The 119th Psalm says that the Word of God is a lamp and light. It guides our path in life. So, more than just going to church and learning to say the right things, the Bible helps us make good choices and decisions in life. It lights the path so we don’t have to stumble in life over temptation and deceit. It makes life worth living.
This is Friday and it will be an awesome experience. I’ll write again and let you know how it all goes.