Saturday, February 23, 2008

Spring Fever

I have to admit that I’m ready for winter to be gone. I can’t say that I have a major case of spring fever, but I could be persuaded to get some. All of the sudden we have some sunshine and warmer weather. One of the advantages we have here in Wisconsin is the changing seasons. I do enjoy the variety of seasons, but I really like it when Spring shows up. There is something special about the feeling of life that “springs forth” in Spring.

When I drive by the golf course on the edge of town, I’d like to blow the snow off. In fact, some of the tee boxes are showing. I’m ready to head out and hit some golf balls. The professional golfers have been playing tournaments for a few months already. Although, they started in Hawaii, California and Arizona. And, a few of them have already made over a million dollars this year playing tournaments. That will never by my problem. They might pay me to get off the golf course - hmmmmmmmmm, now, there’s an idea.

I think the thing about Spring is that is brings new life and hope. Everything that has looked so bleak and dead comes back to life. The trees fill out with leaves and the grass looks green and alive. The birds come back and fill the air with sight and sound. Those who deal with seasonal affective disorder get a reprieve. Spring brings hope. It’s bright and even smells good.

And, that’s a picture of what we find in God’s promises. Many people have felt like life is nothing but an eternal winter. Everything is frozen and covered over with snow. Things freeze in the ground and you can’t move them. Mechanical things don’t work as well in winter. And, life seems to be stuck and no fun.

Then, comes the Spring. Then comes the new life that can be received in Jesus. Real hope comes in to a heart. Life takes on meaning. Peace comes in where there has been turmoil. Life is amazing. Why? His name is Jesus.

This year the celebration of Easter is early. It’s on March 23. There might still be snow on the ground. Easter brings us a reminder of the Hope Jesus gives.

Is your life stuck and frozen? Jesus gives new life if we ask.