Monday, March 24, 2008

How about the Bible?

Yesterday we had a great time as we celebrated Easter. Actually, Easter is a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. And, I think we had a powerful time of rejoicing in the knowledge of the Living Lord.

This morning I was going through some articles in my office. It was a time for some sorting. One of them was recounting the claims of some people who, in the name of Jesus, reject the literal and physical resurrection of Jesus. These claims were made by well-known folks who call themselves well-educated theologians. They boldly and clearly stated that there is no way that Jesus could have come back to life. And they claimed (and this I have an amazingly hard time believing) that they really are followers of Christ. They said that they believed in a spiritual resurrection. Believing that Jesus is dead doesn’t hurt their faith.

I’ve never been able to understand how a person can say they are a follower of Jesus and not accept all of His teaching or the claims of the Bible. I met a fellow years ago who said he believed in all the scriptures, and then he went on to explain that not all of the Bible is the scriptures. He had some special knowledge to know which was which. That way he could easily discount anything I might say about what the Bible says, because “that passage is not scripture”.

There are millions of “Christians” these days doing things the Bible clearly says are sin, claiming it doesn’t make a difference. I fear they are in for a rude awakening on judgement day.

So, what is it that is on my mind today? It is the fact that God has gives us his Word, The Bible, and it is our guide for life and the decisions we make. It is our guide for belief. If you claim to be a Christian and can’t accept that, then I challenge you to start digging through the Bible to find out what the Bible really is all about. Is it just a book of stories? Is it filled with mistakes? If it is, then I wonder why we would follow it. If the Bible is full of mistakes, then let’s shut down the churches and do something better with out time and money.

But, if the Bible is accurate, if it is true, if it really is the Word of God, then we had better learn what it says we are to do, and then DO what it says. I don’t see how we can do anything other than that. What do you think?