Thursday, March 6, 2008

Boot Camp

Boot Camp. Those words bring bad memories to many who have had the fun, challenge and privilege of serving in the military. Boot camp is the time when recruits are quickly brought in to the world and disciplines of the military. How many horror stories have been told about boot camp? How many people thought they would never survive?

Why am I talking about boot camp? Because this week I am participating in a boot camp. No, I didn’t join the army (they are not that desperate). I am participating in a church planters boot camp as a coach.

What’s church planters boot camp? It is a week-long training session for people who want to start (plant) a new church. In recent years it’s been discovered that these boot camps are very effective in training church planters to assist them in doing a better job of starting strong churches. When people start a new church they want it to be successful. Boot camps help.

What’s a coach? I’m supposed to ask questions. This is to assist them in the preparations for planting a church. The boot camp is filled with much discussion. There are about fifty people participating this week. I get to sit at the table of three of the couples who are in the process of starting churches and ask questions. It’s a great job, filled with fun and challenges. I also get to learn. I know there will be things I will be able to apply from the camp.

Boot camp is an overload of information thrown at us. I know it will take some follow up time to digest the information. Someone described it as getting a drink from a fire hydrant. That’s a good description. I hope I get a few good swallows.

One thing that stands out for me is the reminder of the power of God. To think that several churches will be started by the people in the group is awesome. To think of the impact on lives and eternity is exciting. There is so much potential that, when it is blessed by the power of God, it will accomplish amazing results. The Bible says “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. With the strength of God this diverse group of church planters will plant many strong churches.

This boot camp will not leave me with bad memories, but faith to trust God for more than ever before. It has been fun, tiring and gone by very quickly.