Sunday, December 1, 2013

12/1/13  THIS BABY BROUGHT HOPE

Christmas In Real Life

    Can you believe it?  This is December already.  Now we are in the “Christmas shopping season”.
    For this month of December, I want to talk about Jesus, THIS BABY BROUGHT HOPE.  I want to talk about Christmas In Real Life.  Do we have any hope?  Is there any hope is this messed up world?
    There is a well known picture that many have copied and sent to friends.  It is one of those creations that brings both laughter and speaks a powerful truth.  It goes along with a speech credited to Winston Churchill.  The whole speech is said to be:  “Never give up!!  Never give up!!  Never, never, never give up.”

    Is there hope when it seems like the end is near?  Do we just give up and let despair take over?
The Psalmist, David wrote about hope, turning to God.
Psalm 62:1-12 NIV
1 My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
3 How long will you assault a man? Would all of you throw him down-- this leaning wall, this tottering fence?
4 They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; they take delight in lies. With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse. Selah
5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah
9 Lowborn men are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie; if weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath.
10 Do not trust in extortion or take pride in stolen goods; though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.
11 One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong,
12 and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done.

    Sadly, we live in an age when hope is an elusive dream.  It is grasped at and longed for, but is missing.  When hope is gone and despair takes over, the lie deceives people and they quit.  They quit, not only on trying but on life. They throw away the most precious gift God has given.  They enemy who loves death deceives.
    A May 2013 article in The New York Times notes that “suicide rates among middle-aged Americans have risen sharply in the past decade.” Here are the stats behind this trend:
    From 1999 to 2010, the suicide rate among Americans ages 35 to 64 rose by nearly 30 percent.
    More Americans now die of suicide (38,364) than car accidents (33,687). That's 3,026 more people who die from suicide each year than in car crashes.
    The most pronounced increases were seen among men in their 50s, a group in which suicides jumped by nearly 50 percent.
    The suicide rate for middle-aged men was three times higher than for middle-aged women.
    Researchers claim that the reasons for suicide are often complex, but this article focused on two factors—the stress of the economic downturn and the widespread availability of prescription painkillers. But it also hinted that deeper issues like failed expectations and a loss of hope might be a root cause for the increase in suicides. Dr. Julie Phillips, a researcher from Rutgers University, says, “The boomers had great expectations for what their life would look like, but … it hasn’t turned out that way.” Dr. Phillips warns that future generations will be facing the same conditions that lead to this sense of despair.
Tara Parker-Pope, "Suicide Rates Rise Sharply in U.S.," The New York Times (5-2-13)
    Hope.  We absolutely need it.  We have it in Jesus, our risen and victorious Savior.  We don’t always see it.  We can easily focus on the doubts, struggles and problems that shout at us to quit.  But, there is solid hope in the promises of Jesus.
    King David said that he found rest in God, for his salvation came from HIM.
    This is a basic truth by which we all must live. We will face times of affliction, suffering and opposition.  Our solid hope is to depend on God as our refuge and deliverer.  When we trust in God we must say:
✓    I refuse to allow this crisis or suffering to shake my confidence in God.  God is our rock and fortress.  We do not need to be shaken to the point of despair.  Jesus is my source of stability, my protection from life’s storms.
✓    I commit myself fully and completely to HIM. I know He sees my heart and knows what I need.
Philippians 4:6 NIV
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
NLT  6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
    Take the focus off the problem and trust in God’s power.  Give Him all your anxieties and let Him carry the problems.  Let’s God’s peace live in your life.  This allows God’s help to fill you in your time of need.
✓    I will wait patiently for the Lord to move and respond in His perfect timing.  I know His response will be loving and reveal His strength.  He knows my situation.
Gloria Gaither wrote a powerful song.  Larnell Harris and Sandi Patty have recorded it.  I wish I could sing like they do.
    We knew he was dead It is finished, he said
We had watched as His life ebbed away
Then we all stood around Till the guards took Him down
Joseph begged for His body that day
    It was late afternoon When we got to the tomb
Wrapped His body and sealed up the grave
So I know how you feel His death was so real
But please listen and hear what I say
    I’ve just seen Jesus I tell you He’s alive
I’ve just seen Jesus Our precious Lord alive
And I knew, He really saw me too As if till now, I’d never lived
All that I’d done before Won’t matter anymore
I’ve just seen Jesus And I’ll never be the same again
    It was His voice she first heard Those kind gentle words
Asking what was her reason for tears And I sobbed in despair
My Lord is not there He said, child! it is I, I am here!
    I’ve just seen Jesus I tell you He’s alive
I’ve just seen Jesus Our precious Lord alive
And I knew, He really saw me too As if till now, I’d never lived
All that I’d done before Won’t matter anymore
I’ve just seen Jesus I’ve just seen Jesus
I’ve just seen Jesus All that I’d done before Won’t matter anymore
I’ve just seen Jesus And I’ll never be the same again I’ve just seen Jesus!
Words by Gloria Gaither
    Seeing and experiencing Jesus changes everything.  Living in His power and presence is what people look for.
    The Bible gives us hope.  Jesus promised us a future. 
Biblical hope. The concept or idea of hope points to the future.  God gives us a solid assurance and confidence about future things.  The ultimate hope we have as believers in Jesus is the redemption that gives us eternity.
Romans 8:24-25 NIV
24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
    We have not received all of God’s promises yet.  That is why we have hope, hope in HIM.  The future will come and we will receive the rewards God has promised.
Romans 8:36-37 NIV
36 As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” 37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
    We have a choice.  We can be victims of this fallen world or we can be victors, we can be more than victors, through Jesus.  Because of the victory of the cross, we can be more than conquerors through Jesus.
    Biblical hope is more than wanting something in the future.  It is founded on the deep assurance and firm confidence Jesus gives us about life and the issues we will face.  The Bible reveals some amazing promises.
    We have hope because we have faith.  We have hope because we trust God.  God does not disappoint.  God is our anchor for the storms of life.
    A few more passages of Scripture, let’s look at them and see what they say.  What do they say about hope?
Ephesians 3:20-21 NIV
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Romans 15:13 NIV
13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Hebrews 11:1 NIV
1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
    Isaiah 49:23 tells us “. . . Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who hope in me will not be disappointed.”
Questions for discussion.
What is the difference between wishing and a solid hope?
How can biblical hope make a difference at this Christmas season, which many people dread?  They say it only emphasizes their despair or loneliness.
Prayer response.  Pray for those who dread this season.  Pray for those who need a fresh dose of biblical hope.