Sunday, June 23, 2013

6/9/13  DESIGN FOR LIFE - Communion

The World’s Most Expensive Meals
    A chart on the Daily Infographic website offers the following list called “The World’s Most Expensive Meals”:
    At the Fijimake Gekijyo restaurant in Tokyo you can get a bowl of Ramen for $110.
    The Capital Dawg in Sacramento, California serves up “The Ultra-Dog”, the world’s most expensive hot dog at $145.99.
    The Westin Hotel in New York City offers a white truffle bagel that sells for about $1,000.
    For $1,000 New York City also boasts the “Golden Opulence Sunday”, which includes rare cocoa beans harvested off the coast of Venezuela.
    At $2,000 a slice (or $16,000 per pie) you can enjoy Britain’s Wagyu Meat Pie and its savory combination of six pounds of Kobe beef and matsutake mushrooms which sell for $910 per pound.
    And in Italy, Chef Viola’s “Louis XIII” pizza, loaded with lobster, caviar, eight different types of cheese, and seasoned with hand-picked pink Australian river salt, sells for $12,000.
    I have to admit that I am amazed that anyone could imagine something like these extremely expensive meals.  I am even more amazed that anyone would spend that kind of money, no matter how rich they were.
    What is the world’s most expensive meal?  And yet it is offered freely to all?  It is God’s gift of salvation represented in The Last Supper, the Lord’s Supper.  They’re both offered free of charge.  Jesus paid the price that we could never have paid.  He paid with His life.
Grayson, “World’s Most Expensive Meals [Infographic],” Daily Infographic (7-25-12)
Matthew 26:26-29 NKJV
26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” 27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”
    Communion, The Lord’s Supper, is something that the church celebrates on a regular basis.  Sometimes, when something is a regular occurrence, it can become routine.  It can be something we do and not think about what it means.  Today we want to look at what it means.
    This celebration of remembrance was one of the last things Jesus did on this earth.  Last words are very important.  Let me share a story of Chuck Swindoll as he recalled the impact of his father’s “Last Words”.
    One of my most unforgettable moments happened when I was about ten years old. My father served our country during World War II in a plant in our hometown, building all sorts of interesting equipment for the massive tanks, fighter planes, and bombers that defended us in lands far away. Dad worked too long and too hard. As a result he suffered a physical breakdown. And on its heels came an emotional trauma that puzzled everyone, including the doctors.
    I was convinced in my heart that my dad was going to die. He may have had such thoughts too, because one night he called me into his room for a somber father-son talk …. I remember leaning hard against his bed, listening carefully to a voice that was hardly more than a whisper. I thought I was hearing him for the last time. He gave me counsel on life—how I should live, how I should conduct myself as his son. The counsel wasn’t long, and then I left and went across the hall to the room that I shared with my older brother. All alone, I lay across my bed and sobbed, convinced that I would never see my dad alive again.
    That scene still haunts me. Even though my dad recovered to live … I still remember the night he talked to me. Something very significant is wrapped up in our final words. Consider the night in Jerusalem when the Lord and his disciples gathered for … what we call “The Last Supper”.  Less than twelve hours after [that meal], Jesus was nailed to a cross; a few hours later, he was dead. Jesus understood the significance of those moments and the importance of his last counsel. And so he gave them exactly what they would need to carry them through the rest of their days.
Chuck Swindoll, Embraced By the Spirit (Zondervan, 2010), pp. 11-12
    The words of the Apostle Paul to the church in Corinth.
1 Corinthians 11:1 NKJV
1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
    Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ.  We can learn from people like Paul.  We are all expected to follow Christ’s example and live a Christlike life.  What does that mean?
    It means that you deeply love God and people.  This love motivates you.  It drives you to live pleasing to God.  You want God to get honor in all you do.  You will strive to be faithful to God and accomplish His work.  You learn to love what God loves and hate what God hates.
    Following Jesus helps you set an example that other people can follow.  Remembering what Jesus did on the cross through celebration of Communion brings you closer to Him.
    Later in the same chapter, Paul wrote:
1 Corinthians 11:17-34 NKJV
17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse. 18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. 19 For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you. 20 Therefore when you come together in one place, it is not to eat the Lord's Supper. 21 For in eating, each one takes his own supper ahead of others; and one is hungry and another is drunk. 22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you in this? I do not praise you.
    23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes.
    27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.
    33 Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. 34 But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.
    Jesus established the Lord’s Supper.  It is a memorial of Christ’s death for the redemption, liberation or salvation of people from sin and from eternal punishment.  As we share in Communion we are reminded of Jesus’ sacrifice and its significance for our lives.
    When we celebrate Communion we have a special fellowship with HIM.  There is a Greek word:  koinönia.  This is a special companionship and unity with Jesus as well as a sense of community with our local church body.  We need this kind of fellowship and relationship with both God and other believers.  Communion makes this more real and special.
    We are reminded of the gift of Salvation God has given us.  God has an amazing plan to take us into His family.  Jesus came to be our LORD.  The Lord’s Supper reminds us of that.  He is worthy to be our Lord and worthy to be obeyed.  Communion reminds us of the horror of sin and our desire to reject active participation in it.  We want to be known as followers of Jesus.
    Our service for Jesus is part of His eternal plan for us.  We will spend forever and forever in His presence.  We know that this messy world is only temporary.
    Let’s go back and review the verses we just read.  What are the key points?

See the sacrifice of Jesus.

What do you think of when it is time for Communion?
“It’s that time again.” (Routine)
“Awesome.”
“Thank you, Lord, for these great people I get to be with at church.”
“Celebration!!”
“Thank you, Lord, for the strong personal relationship I have with You.”

Share communion with someone and pray for them.