Wednesday, October 28, 2009

WHY STUDY THE BIBLE????

It is Wednesday, and I have been working on the Bible Study we will do tonight. This is something I have done all my life. Wednesdays mean going to church. There are very few Wednesdays in my life I have not been in church. Tonight we will have a group of people who gather together around some tables and read and study passages from the Bible.

I’m sure there are many people who wonder why we do this. Why would people take every Wednesday night and study an old book? What good does it do?

The Bible is the most published book in the history of books. There is a reason for this. People have discovered that the Bible contains the truths and principles for life. The Bible is God’s inspired Word for guidance in life. The Psalmist put it this way.

9 How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word. 10 With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! 11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.
Psalm 119:9-11 NKJV


How can we have guidance in life? We find it in God’s Word. Later in the same Psalm, v. 105 says,
Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.

Do you want to be able to see where you are going in a world that is dark and confused? God’s Word is a great big flashlight that shines along the path.

I have often said that the Bible is a practical book, it works to learn it and apply it. It answers the questions in life. I have been rambling through this life of being a pastor for about 36 years now. I have talked to hundreds of people in many different settings. One constant I have observed is that there is an appreciable difference in the life, life style and results of a person who is applying the Bible in their life and the one who is not. Many times, as I have been talking with a person and they are telling me their life story, it is extremely obvious whether they have or have not been following God’s Word. When a person has been learning and applying the Bible, when they have been letting God’s flashlight guide them, the results are amazingly better. It becomes easy to see the truths of one more verse.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23 NKJV


Sin brings death and destruction. Jesus brings life. Think about that.