Wednesday, April 16, 2008

This Would Be Great

Unless you live in a cave and never are touched by the world of media, you know that lots of things are very expensive today. The news media is working hard to let us know we should be scared, depressed, discouraged and angry at the politicians in Washington. And, then there are the people running for president who are quick to tell us it is all the fault of the current president, and, if we will elect them, they will fix all the problems. Well, I’ve heard that song before.

I was reading an article by Mary Hunt. She writes about economic issues. She pointed out that the media loves to focus on the problems and the negative, promoting fear. I appreciated that perspective, for it seems like our culture loves to be afraid. She talked about things people can do to help themselves economically.

One of the big price issues is anything connected with crude oil. Fill your gas tank or heat your house and look at the cost. Food is now much more expensive because millions of bushels of corn are being diverted to ethanol. It’s interesting to me that the farmers are burning tons of diesel fuel to grow and harvest corn so they can make “clean” fuel. Can someone explain that one to me?

I have just read an article that says a company in Texas is making bio fuels from hay. And, they are making it at $42.00 per barrel. This would be great. I hope it is true. Think of that, making fuel out of hay for less than half of what crude is going for. What an amazing impact that would have. I would guess that then the negative folks would talk about the impact on the world hay market.

The authors writing about this says the company is in business and it works. Again, I hope this is true.

So, where is your hope? If you have lots of oil stock, you are doing well in the current market. If you sell lots of hay, this new technology sounds promising. Again, where is your hope? The most consistent hope in history is found in trusting and obeying God. He is the Creator and Provider. He can take care of us in amazing ways. As I’m thinking of this, my mind wandered to a passage at the end of the Old Testament. Let me leave you with a few verses of Scripture for you to chew on. What do you think?

Malachi 3:10-12 NIV
10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.